It’s been a long time since I haven’t tweaked my speakers. After more than 9 years I decided to change the drivers after falling in love with the Alpair 10M from Mark Audio. I listened to my friend Andy’s system (4P1L PSE driving the Alpairs) and decided to get hold of them.
A simple upgrade
As I don’t have much time left for DIY audio these days, I needed a simple solution. I couldn’t build a new set of speakers despite the love I have for some horn-type designs. Bringing new speakers was out of the question, so I had to modify my existing boxes to replace the FE167E. Sadly they didn’t fit straight on, so my friend Tony made me a pair of adapter boards to fit these. Made of MDF I painted them in grey:
The build process took less than I expected. When I tested I noticed the treble to be higher than normal. I knew that some tweaking of the crossover was needed, in particular the level of the FT96H horn tweeter:
Indeed there was a need to attenuate the horn tweeter. I added an 8Ω wirewound L-PAD attenuator as shown below:
Calibration was very easy to do using REWL. A few sweeps were required to get the level about right. The remaining tweaking will be done through listening:
The results are good. Very flat response between 50 Hz up to 20kHz and above. The Alpair has a higher Fo=38Hz than my previous FE167E. I have a subwoofer so need to adjust the LF crossover to provide a better response below 50Hz:
Now, need to listen to these drivers. Allow them to settle in properly and provide some listening impressions. So far so good, the detail is impressive.